Think the barbecue is just for grilling steaks? Not anymore!
Recipe originally appeared in the 15th edition of the Barbecue Genius Grillers Handbook, and can also be found at www.onthegrill.ca.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut in 12 slices (1/3" thick)
- 3 medium zucchinis, cut in 24 slices (1/4" thick)
- 3 large tomatoes, cut in 6 slices (1/3" thick)
- 3 medium red onions, cut in 12 slices (1/3" thick)
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4" thick
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat barbecue and set on LOW. Brush vegetables with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill slowly until tender, turning once. Transfer the vegetables to a tray, arranging them in a single layer, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. The vegetables may be grilled a day in advance, and refrigerated after cooling. Bring the vegetables back to room temperature before proceeding.
- Stir together the ricotta, thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place one slice of eggplant on a lightly oiled baking sheet or foil pan. Spread one tablespoon of the ricotta mixture over the eggplant. Cover with 2 slices of zucchini, 1 slice of onion, 1 slice of mozzarella, 1 slice of tomato, 2 slices of zucchini, and 1 slice of onion. Spread 1 tablespoon of the ricotta mixture over the onion, and top with another slice of eggplant. Repeat this procedure with the remaining vegetables to make 5 more stacks
- Insert a wooden skewer through the centre of each stack to create a hole from top to bottom. Remove the bottom leaves from each rosemary sprig, leaving one inch of leaves on the top. Insert 1 sprig into the centre hole in each napoleon, and return to the barbecue. Heat for about 5 minutes on LOW, or until mozzarella is melted and vegetables are warmed through.
Substitute or add other vegetables as you wish. Some nice additions might be new potatoes or red peppers. Although the stacks are attractive and easy to serve, you may also arrange the grilled vegetables and cheese in a casserole.