Make the most of the sweet flavour of pears in this impressive barbecue dessert.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 4 pear halves
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch ground allspice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces brie, crumbled
- Combine raisins, cloves, allspice, brown sugar and butter. Place each pear half on a double thickness of foil. Dig out core. Pack cavity with brown sugar mixture. Wrap firmly in foil. Cook over medium heat, turning on sides occasionally for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- While the pears cook, prepare cheese sauce by melting butter in a small saucepan on the side burner. Stir in flour. Remove from heat and blend in milk. Return to the heat and cook over medium flame until the sauce thickens to the consistency of thin cream, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, blend egg yolk with sour cream. Pour into sauce and stir in one ounce of cheese. Stir just until cheese has melted. DO NOT OVERHEAT. Cover to keep warm.
- Fold back foil to expose pears, place on plates, pour cheese sauce over pears and garnish with remaining crumbled cheese.