The sweetness of the balsamic vinegar compliments the smoky flavour of the vegetables in this side dish.
Recipe by Kathy Robertson. Originally appeared in the 15th edition of the Barbecue Genius Grillers Handbook, and can also be found at www.onthegrill.ca.
- 2 red peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 small zucchinis, sliced into quarters
- 2 oriental eggplants, sliced into quarters
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 4 leeks, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- bunch fresh thyme, washed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Toss prepared vegetables in a bowl with the olive oil, thyme, and garlic.
- Preheat the barbecue on HIGH, then reduce heat to MEDIUM before placing the vegetables on the grill. Turn the vegetables once, and cook until tender-crisp and nicely coloured.
- Toss in a bowl and splash with balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature with any grilled meat.
If there are any leftovers, toss them with some cooked pasta, black olives, sundried tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, and another splash of balsamic vinegar for a quick summer salad.