Serve with Herbed Pork Tenderloin.
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (4 oranges)
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 tart apples, peeled, cored and in ½ inch dice
- ¾ cup raisins
- Combine the onion, ginger, orange juice, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seed, red pepper flakes and salt in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the apples to the mixture as you chop to keep them from turning brown. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 50 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the raisins and serve warm, at room temperature or cold.
Makes 5 cups.
Make it ahead:
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.