February is heart month! Our February recipes are from the Heart and Stroke Foundation's recipe collection.
Why Heart Month?
Heart disease and stroke take one life every 7 minutes and 90% of Canadians have at least one risk factor. Heart Month is the Heart and Stroke Foundation's key opportunity to reach millions of Canadians in February and alert them to the risks of heart disease and stroke.
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: **6 hours and 8 min **Serves: 6
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) trimmed beef brisket
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
- 1 bottle (12 oz/341 mL) dark stout beer
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) steak sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 6 slices multigrain bread
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of canola oil in large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown beef 3 minutes on each side. Place beef in slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, cook onions 4 minutes or until beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in beer, vinegar, oregano, thyme, steak sauce, and tomato paste. Stir until well blended and pour over beef in slow cooker, making sure that beef is covered completely with liquid.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6 hours. Remove beef and place on cutting board. Thinly slice beef (it will shred automatically as you slice). Return beef to slow cooker and stir. Cover and let stand 15 minutes to absorb flavours.
- To serve, place strainer in large bowl, strain beef mixture, shaking off excess liquid and place in serving bowl. Serve juices alongside. Place equal amounts of shredded beef on slices of warmed multigrain bread (2 oz/60 g per serving) as open-faced sandwiches. Spoon desired amount of liquid over each.
Tips: Buy beef brisket that weighs almost 2 pounds (1 kg) before trimming as there is quite a bit of fat to discard. If a “sliced” brisket is preferred over the shredded variety, cook about 30 minutes less than recommended above.
Recipe provided by CanolaInfo.org ©
Original recipe can be found here.
Find out more about Heart Month here.