February is heart month! Our February recipes are from the Heart and Stroke Foundation's recipe collection.
Why Heart Month?
Over the last 60 years, the Heart & Stroke Foundation helped reduce the rate of death from cardiovascular disease by 75 per cent. There is still work to be done. Heart disease and stroke remain leading causes of death and hospitalization in Canada.
Prep time: 10 min ~ Cook time: 15 min ~ Serves 2
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) poultry seasoning
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) nutmeg
- 6-7 oz (170-200 g) pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) slices
- 1-2 tsp (5-10 mL) green peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 green apple, unpeeled
- 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple juice
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder poultry seasoning and nutmeg. Sprinkle on pork. Press peppercorns lightly into meat slices.
- In a wok or large skillet heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of canola oil. Meanwhile, core apple and cut into thin slices. Saute apple slices in canola oil, about 3 minutes. Remove from wok. Add 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) canola oil and pork slices to wok and brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from wok.
- In another bowl, combine cornstarch and apple juice; add to wok. Heat until thickened. Add pork slices, cover and simmer about 8 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, place pork slices on a serving plate. Top with apple slices and a few green peppercorns; spoon sauce over all.
Recipe provided by CanolaInfo.org ©
Original guaranteed heart-healthy recipe here.
Find out more about Heart Month here.