May you always have a clean shirt, a clear conscience, and enough coins in your pocket to buy a pint! ~ Irish Saying
We continue our countdown to St. Patrick's day with this chocolate cake recipe from Simply Recipes. A simple cream cheese frosting pairs well with this cake, or instead finish with a dusting of icing sugar.
- 1 cup Guinness extra stout
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream cheese frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 8 or 9-inch springform pan with butter and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan place the beer and butter. Cook over medium-high heat until the butter has melted. Add the cocoa powder and sugars and whisk together. Take off heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- In another bowl beat together the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract until very, very well combined. Add to the butter-beer mixture and whisk together.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the beer-butter mixture and whisk together until it just comes together. Pour into the prepared pan and give the pan a few short drops onto the countertop to shake the air pockets in the batter to the surface and out of the cake. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Run a knife around the edge to separate the cake from the pan and pop the ring off the springform.
- Spread frosting on the cooled cake and serve.
TIP: If you prefer a sweeter cake use all white sugar and add a tablespoon more of cocoa powder.