May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go. ~Irish Blessing
You can serve these short ribs immediately, but they are even better the next day. Separate the meat from the sauce and put the sauce into a tall container, when the fat has pooled at the top remove from surface, reheat and serve over polenta or mashed potatoes.
- 4 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- ~1.3 kg short ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, (about 8 roma tomatoes)
- 1 bottle dark beer (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Combine sugar, paprika, curry, cumin, pepper, salt, and dry mustard. Trim short ribs of excess fat or silver skin. Cover with spice rub and massage into meat. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a large dutch oven over medium high heat add olive oil until hot then brown the ribs in batch on all sides but the bone side. Remove to a plate and add onion and carrot. Cook for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring regularly. Add garlic and tomatoes and cook for another minute. Add beer and chicken stock and bring to a simmer, scraping up the bottom of the pot to get all the good rib flavour.
- Put ribs back into the pot, cover and put in the oven. Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.